Thien Mu Pagoda
Thien Mu Pagoda, also known as Linh Mu Pagoda is a Buddhist temple situated on Ha Khe Hill, left bank of the Hương River, away from Hue city center about 5km to the west. Thien Mu Pagoda officially started up in 1601, his Lord Tien Nguyen Hoang - the first Nguyens lords in Cochin. It can be said it is the oldest pagoda in Hue.
Under the time Lord Nguyen Phuc Chu (1691-1725) by the rise and flourishing of Buddhist in the Cochin, the temple was rebuilt over to the bigger scale. In 1710, Lord Quốc ordered to built a huge bell, weighing over two tons, called Đại Hồng Chung, a poem engraved on it. By 1714, Lord Quốc rebuilt the pagoda with dozens of structures such as Thiên Vương Hall, Đại Hùng Hall ... that many buildings of which no longer exists today.
Lord Quốc also personally wrote a poem, carved into a large stone tablet (2m60 high, wide 1m2) spoke about the construction of buildings here, odering men go to China to buy more than 1000 of the Buddhist scriptures and put in the pagoda library, praised the philosophy of Buddhism. The stone tablet is placed on the back of a large stone turtle, decorations simple but very beautiful.
Phuoc Duyen tower is a symbol associated with the famous Thien Mu Pagoda. 21 m high tower, consisting of 7 floors, built in front of the temple in 1844. Each storey of tower worship Buddha. Inside is a spiral staircase leading to top floor, where formerly golden Buddha was here. In front of the tower is Huong Nguyen house, which on the roof there's Falun (wheel Buddhism, Buddhist icons). Falun spin when the wind blows.
Vietnam Discoveries (st)