Hoi An catholic church
Archaeological studies in Hoi An in the 1990s proved that more than 2000 years ago Hoi An was an embryonic port town of the Sa Huynh people. From the 2nd to the 15th centuries, Hoi An was the land of the Champa Kingdom. In these centuries, Hoi An became a prosperous commercial port town in Asia.
Merchant boats from Arabian countries and China came to Hoi An for trade. Cham people were brilliant sailors. The excavation of a shipwreck at Butuan, Philippines, in 1972 prouved that Cham merchants brought to the Philippines the Song ceramics of 11th century. Officially, China had known the Philippines since 13 th century. By 1471, Hoi An belonged to Viet Nam.
In the 16th and the 17th centuries, Hoi An commercial port was one of the international trade centers in Southern Vietnam. Foreign merchant ships came to Hoi An in great numbers and a bustle for annually commercial fairs, each lasted from 4 to 6 months. Right in this town, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, Indian traders set up their emporiums or established their own quarters for permanent habitation.
The Catholic Church reached Vietnam in the 16th century, thanks to the work of missionaries from Portugal, Spain, France… and others catholics of Asia. This is the essential chronology of the spreading of the Christian faith.
1580 A group of Franciscans from the Philippines moved to CochinChina
1615 (January 18th) The Mission of CochinChina officially began with the arrival of the Jesuits: the Italian Francesco Buzomi and the Portuguese Diego Carvalho at Da Nang (Touron) and Hoi An (Faifoo).
In November 11 1615, Hội An catholic church was built, at the end of 1615: 300 catholics in this area. In present the Hội An catholic church is located at Nguyen Truong To street, where the some graves of the priests in the 18th century.