The Bridge Pagoda
The bridge was build by the donation of Japanese merchants around the 17th century. It is also called Japanese bridge, though its architecture is bold Vietnam style.
According to legend of local people, the bridge was recognized as a sword plunged into the back of mamazu monster that made he could not wave his tail, causing earthquakes. In 1653,the temple was built, connecting the northern railing. Since there, Bridge Pagoda became the name.
In 1719, Lord Nguyen Phuc Chu visited Hội An, he named the bridge "Lai Viễn Kiều", which means "The welcoming bridge". The chronology was written in the roof beams and epitaphs in the bridgehead that can tell the bridge was rebuilt in 1817. The temple was probably rebuilt at this time.
The bridge is about 18 m long, has roof, curve over the Thu Bon River near Nguyen Thi Minh Khai and Tran Phu streets. Chùa Cầu (Bridge pagoda) is one of the relics has special architecture. The roof tiles are covering all the bridge. On the main entrance of Chùa Cầu, there's a large plate embossed 3 Chinese characters mean "The Welcoming bridge".
Pagoda and bridge are painted in Red and elaborately carved, the pagoda face towards the river. Two bridgeheads with 2 wooden adoration standing statues: dog and one monkey (perhaps derived from the constrution of the bridge was begun in the year of dog and completed in the year of monkey).
On the side, there was legend of the animals (dog and monkey) that the Japanese cult worship here from ancient times. Though it is called "chùa" (place for worshiping the Buddha) but the temple has no Buddha statue. The main hall (that called Chùa) for worshiping Bắc Đế Trấn Võ - protector God of the region that brought happiness, and wealthy to the people in the region.
Vietnam Discoveries (wiki)